Of the 460,000 student athletes who play NCAA sports every year, you only hear the stories of a small minority. We're trying to change that. This year we will take a daily look inside the lives of NCAA athletes both on an off the field. If there's an athlete you think should be featured, tweet @HEROSportsNews.
Garrett Hayes, D2 Baseball, West Georgia
See Alex's full interview, part of the Gulf South's Around the Bases series, below:
1. What is one thing that has to be in your kitchen at all times?
GH: "I have to have red Gatorade and fruit. I have a red Gatorade every morning when I wake up."
2. What is your favorite quote?
GH: "'Some people want it to happen. Some wish it would happen. Others make it happen'. – Michael Jordan."
3. What is your favorite childhood memory?
GH: "It has got to be the long summers of playing travel baseball with all my closest friends. Those summers introduced me to some of my best friends, still to this day."
4. What is your favorite activity outside of playing baseball?
GH: "I love playing golf. I'm not very good, but I enjoy it."
5. What is one thing not a lot of people may know about you?
GH: "I enjoy old country music. I would rather listen to music than watch television."
6. What would you say is your hidden talent?
GH: "I am a great cook and I have a cookbook in my kitchen."
7. What musical artist are you embarrassed to admit you like?
GH: "Taylor Swift, as embarrassing as that is. I play her songs extremely loud when I am driving."
8. What is your favorite thing about baseball and your least favorite thing?
GH: "My favorite thing about baseball has got to be how close it brings you to your teammates. It's like having 35 best friends. My least favorite thing about it is losing. I hate losing more than I like winning."
9. Who has had the biggest impact on your life to this point in your career?
GH: "My grandfather has had the biggest impact on my life. He has taught me that nothing will ever be given to you and that you must work for everything. He has been there for me the whole way and for that, I am thankful."
10. What type of career aspirations do you have upon graduating?
GH: "I am graduating with a sports management degree with a minor in marketing. I hope to continue working in the business side of sports and to keep a relationship with the game of baseball."