The Chicago Bears vs. Denver Broncos preseason matchup Thursday night gave a few former FCS players the chance to show off their goods on an NFL field, and they took advantage of the opportunity.
In particular, Chicago Bears running back Tarik Cohen (North Carolina A&T), Denver Broncos quarterback Kyle Sloter (Northern Colorado) and Broncos running back DeAngelo Henderson (Coastal Carolina) showed up with some impressive highlights.
Tarik Cohen played just 8 snaps for the Bears, but had 7 carries for 39 yards, and looked impressive doing it. He also returned a punt for 17 yards.
Tarik Cohen pic.twitter.com/kSBAeoGQQa
— Jonathan Kinsley (@Brickwallblitz) August 11, 2017
His FCS counterpart for the Broncos, running back DeAngelo Henderson, also had a big night with 7 carries for 54 yards, including a 41-yard touchdown scamper.
NFL: De'Angelo Henderson.
— The Armchair QB (@ESPNHQ) August 11, 2017
And amid a mess at the quarterback spot in Denver where fans are up in arms about the battle between Paxton Lynch and Trevor Siemian, Kyle Sloter turned in an impressive showing, completing 5 of 6 attempts for 94 yards and a touchdown, a 47-yard strike to a wide open Isaiah McKenzie, a fellow rookie out of Georgia.
— R.C. Fischer (@FFMetrics) August 11, 2017
The three FCS rookies weren't the only former FCS players in the game. Here's the stats from FCS players in the matchup:
- TE Ben Braunecker (Harvard): 1 catch, 6 yards (1 target)
- WR Cameron Meredith (Illinois State): 0 catches, 2 targets
- TE Daniel Brown (James Madison): 1 catch, 4 yards (3 targets)
- WR Victor Cruz (UMass): 3 catches, 11 yards (6 targets)
- DB DeAndre Houston-Carson (William & Mary): 1 tackle
- DB B.W. Webb (William & Mary): 3 tackles
- CB Chris Lewis-Harris (Chattanooga): 4 tackles, 1 pass defended
- DE Zach Kerr (Delaware): 2 tackles, 1 pass defended, 1 QB hit
- WR Kalif Raymond (Holy Cross): 1 catch for 24 yards (1 target); 1 KR, 41 yards; 1 PR, 34 yards
- DE Shelby Harris (Illinois State): 2 tackles
- CB Brendan Langley (Lamar): 3 tackles