The NCAA's transfer portal is "dangerous" and a "no-win situation," says Mike Gundy.
The NCAA launched the transfer portal on Oct. 15, 2018, four months after unveiling new transfer rules that eliminated the permission-to-contact process. And six months after the portal's introduction, many college football coaches aren't pleased with its effect on their sport, including Gundy as he enters his 15th season at Oklahoma State.
"Religion, politics and the portal," he told HERO Sports this week. "I don't even think it's worth commenting on because you're gonna get such a mixed reaction from people across the country."
Since last fall, Oklahoma State has lost eight players to transfer, most notably receiver Jalen McCleskey (Tulane) and running back J.D. King (Georgia Southern), which ranks among the most of any FBS program.
"I don't think anybody knew the direction it was going when it was put in place. I think it's a dangerous thing," Gundy added. "I think there are a few things that are positive, but the majority of it is dangerous unless the NCAA changes the opportunity for coaches to manage roster numbers based on the 85 scholarships that we have.
"As it speaks right now, we can't handle the roster changes. We can't predict them and we can't make up for them based on the way the rules are. They have failed to address and put in place ways for us to manage our roster based on the current portal situation."
Gundy joins a long list of coaches who've criticized the portal, including Lane Kiffin, whose "attention" comments made headlines last month, and Gary Patterson, who warned in March, "We better be careful. We won’t have college football." And Gundy says he's done talking about it.
"Honestly, this will probably be the last time I ever speak about it . . . I don't think its something that's been thought through. It's a no-win situation either way."